Man did not pay taxi fare
Published at 15:48, Wednesday, 15 December 2010
FAILING to pay a taxi fare and being aggressive towards police has landed a Cleator Moor man with a £150 fine.
Richard Carr, 24, of Montreal Avenue, admitted making off without payment and obstructing a police officer in her duty, causing officers to use a taser gun and parva spray on him.
He has been ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
The court heard that Carr had got into a taxi, belonging to John McAllister, at the Wetherspoons pub in Whitehaven. After stopping at a take-away on the way, the taxi driver took him to Woodhouse Road, where the fare would have been £5. But Carr got out the car, did not pay and went into a house further up the street.
When police arrived at the house, PC Nicholson said she tried to reason with Carr, but he grabbed her and tried to push her backwards. Officers had to use a taser and parva spray to stop the defendant.
David Martin, for Carr, said: “My client had been assaulted by someone in the pub earlier that night. He decided to leave. He got into the taxi and at the time he believed he had money to pay for the journey. When he got to his destination he realised he didn’t have the money.
“He had a choice to make: he went into the house. He accepts that he was aggressive towards the police.
“He really does want to apologise to the taxi driver and the police officers for his behaviour.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Blaze delays West Cumberland Hospital handover (1 comment)
- ‘People will die’ - Fury as coastguard HQ to move (8 comments)
- Stars of the show!
- Thousands of homes in nuclear evacuation zone (3 comments)
- Whitehaven’s heading back to the future (2 comments)
- New principal pledges to ‘maximise potential’
- Investors eye cinema site (9 comments)
- Plans lodged to demolish Cap'n Senny's
- Egremont homeless hostel given the go-ahead (13 comments)
- What's On Guide: January 22 to 28
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)