Man cleared of careless driving in A595 collision
Published at 11:40, Thursday, 07 August 2014
A MOTORIST who was accused of causing the death of a lorry driver in a head-on crash has walked free from court.
Peter Hayward, 53, of Mill Hill, Cleator Moor, was cleared by a jury yesterday of causing the death of lorry driver Craig Wood, 45, by careless driving.
Mr Hayward had denied causing the death of Mr Wood following a crash on the A595 at Bothel in May 2012.
Mr Wood, from Crook in County Durham, suffered a broken leg following the crash and died weeks later following complications.
During the four-day trial the court heard that before he died Mr Wood gave police his account of the accident.
At Carlisle Crown Court Mr Hayward was found not guilty of two charges – causing death by careless driving as well as the lesser, alternative, charge of careless driving.
Judge Paul Batty QC told relatives of Mr Wood: “The court is extremely grateful to the family for their dignity during what must have been an extremely difficult case. I hope they are better informed over what occurred.”
The crash in May 2012 was on the A595 at the Mealsgate junction.
Mr Hayward, who was also seriously injured, had been travelling north towards Carlisle.
Witnesses described how his Volkswagen Passat had drifted across into the path of oncoming traffic – narrowly missing a car and making a glancing blow to the side of a second before colliding head on with the HGV.
In a statement that was read to the jury Mr Wood described the Passat veering towards him for no apparent reason and that, after the impact, he was thrown around his cab despite wearing a seatbelt.
Defence barrister James Leonard had highlighted the possibility that Mr Hayward had suffered a “medical episode” behind the wheel immediately before the crash causing his car to veer into the oncoming traffic.
Medical experts said it could have been one of four possibilities: an epileptic seizure, a reflex syncope, a cardiac syncope – both commonly known as fainting – or a “micro-sleep”.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Breaking news: Whitehaven Civic Hall to reopen
- Your election candidates revealed (3 comments)
- Hustings debates the issues that matter to you
- Travellers illegally occupying five sites in Cumbria (18 comments)
- Don't vote for me: Smear campaign forces Lee to quit (13 comments)
- Campaigners threaten to take legal action over school closure (1 comment)
- Fabulously flouncy - Laurence on heading to Whitehaven (1 comment)
- Vandals target Mirehouse eyesore’s artwork
- Cancer sufferer to cycle 140 miles for charity
- Travellers park illegally (18 comments)
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (202 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss attacks 'weak' players who don't deserve to be professionals (83 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Row over Tory MP hopeful's election banner in Carlisle (56 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (39 comments)