Lower speed limit for road past Distington Crem
Last updated at 11:42, Thursday, 23 February 2012
A LOWER speed limit will be introduced for the Distington Crematorium road, it has been confirmed.
A formal three-week consultation was launched by Cumbria County Council to bring the speed limit on the busy road from 60mph down to 40mph.
And after the plan received extensive public support and no objections, the limit will be introduced, most likely in early March.
The Distington community and a number of funeral directors have long sought the reduction to bring it in line with the county’s other crematorium road in Carlisle.
Last summer, a traffic survey on the road showed a small percentage of vehicles were hitting speeds as high as 75mph – but average speeds were at about 41 or 42mph.
First published at 11:07, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Alan Wills top scores at Northern Championship
- Awards evening marks 40 years of martial arts
- Kart star Jonny is Vegas bound
- Haven coach hails Stephen Fox’s return
- Mum knows value of local services
- GPs ‘deeply concerned’ by hospital
- MP criticises selection of staff chosen for review team (1 comment)
- Rejected - plans for 79 Cleator homes denied (3 comments)
- Fight goes on despite office block refusal
- Hotel charges Whitehaven couple £100 for bad review (1 comment)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (86 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (60 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (82 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (28 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)