Laura’s locks get charity chop
Last updated at 11:40, Thursday, 14 June 2012
A SOLDIER’S wife from Whitehaven is getting her head shaved for charity on Saturday.
Laura Matzk hopes to raise £500 for the Army Benevolent Fund through the sponsored event at Cabelo hairdressers in Mirehouse.
The 23-year-old will be cheered on by her husband Daniel, who is a Lance Corporal in the Duke of Lancaster Regiment. He is preparing to return to Afghanistan on his second tour of the country.
Laura said: “I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while. Since Daniel has been in the Army, I decided that I wanted to raise money for the fund.
“Daniel thinks I’m crazy for getting my head shaved – but he supports me!”
The soldiers’ charity provides support to serving and retired soldiers and their families. Laura said: “I want to raise money for the Army Benevolent Fund because you never know in the future, we might need help.”
The couple have two children, Gracie, aged three, and 10-month-old Conrad. They lived at the Catterick Garrison Army base in North Yorkshire for one year and have been living at Derwentwater Road, Mirehouse, for the last year. They are set to move back to Catterick Garrison soon.
Laura said: “I’ve got the full support of family and friends. It’s a constant worry for six months when Daniel is serving. It’s difficult when people here say they know how I feel, because they don’t. When you get back to Catterick, you know that everyone is in the same boat.”
Around £250 has been raised so far, which Laura hopes to raise to £500. A Just Giving page has been set up where people can donate to the cause online. To donate, go to: www.justgiving.com/laura-matzk
First published at 11:07, Thursday, 14 June 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
Well done laura for doing this for a worthy cause x
Make your comment
- Civic Hall office plans approved
- Campaigner Carla thrown out of council meeting by police (27 comments)
- Eyesore’s revamp - bus station to be transformed after buyout (14 comments)
- Cumbrian firm has something to Crowe about
- Chris Whiteside named Tories’ mayoral candidate (3 comments)
- Soul stars head to Whitehaven
- Jobs lost? Services cut? Howgill Family Centre under threat (2 comments)
- ‘Inconsiderate’ motorists are driving residents round the bend (15 comments)
- Councillors set to award themselves a pay rise (6 comments)
- Egremont’s Peaky Blinders join A-listers at the Oscars