Kells Infants ‘outstanding’ says Ofsted
Last updated at 11:43, Thursday, 31 July 2014
A WHITEHAVEN school is now considered outstanding following a recent Ofsted inspection.
Kells Infant School has gone from being good to providing the best education possible.
Gillian Salter-Smith, Ofsted inspector, said: “Kells is a warm, welcoming and highly caring school [which] goes the extra mile.” The report notes: “By the end of Year 2, standards in national assessments in reading, writing and mathematics have been significantly above average”.
Pupils make outstanding progress in applying their maths skills because “teaching links activities to real-life situations”.
Ms Salter-Smith said: “Outstanding teaching leads to pupils make rapid progress over time.”
It was also noted “adults know the children very well” and “staff make sure the most able pupils are challenged and well supported”.
Ms Salter-Smith said: “The behaviour of pupils is outstanding. Pupils are exceptionally eager to learn.” The report states “the rates of absence and punctuality have reduced significantly so that rates of attendance are now average”.
The leadership of the headteacher ensures staff and governors work well together to ensure “all pupils thrive in a safe, secure and caring school where they have the chance to achieve their best”.
Ms Salter-Smith added: “Staff training is focused very closely on the correct priorities. The changes have all served to accelerate pupils’ achievement.” Barry Prest, chair of governors, said: “We are absolutely delighted with the latest report. Kells has always been a good school and a lot of effort has gone into making it an outstanding place to learn. Staff are incredible and have been so well supported by the children which has been reflected in our great exam results.
First published at 11:37, Thursday, 31 July 2014
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
VERY WELL DONE TO MRS G
Make your comment
- Breaking news: Whitehaven Civic Hall to reopen
- Your election candidates revealed (3 comments)
- Hustings debates the issues that matter to you
- Travellers illegally occupying five sites in Cumbria (18 comments)
- Don't vote for me: Smear campaign forces Lee to quit (13 comments)
- Campaigners threaten to take legal action over school closure (1 comment)
- Fabulously flouncy - Laurence on heading to Whitehaven (1 comment)
- Vandals target Mirehouse eyesore’s artwork
- Cancer sufferer to cycle 140 miles for charity
- Travellers park illegally (18 comments)