Jobs axed as clothes shop closes
Published at 11:08, Thursday, 19 April 2012
A WHITEHAVEN shop has closed suddenly with the loss of five jobs.
Ellie Louise, which has been in the town’s King Street for 11 years, shut on Thursday, April 5.
Staff were shocked to hear the Leeds-based fashion retailer had gone into administration the previous Monday. This was followed by representatives arriving at the shop on the Thursday saying they had to close immediately.
Christine Minnorry, who managed the King Street shop, and the four part-time staff have all lost their jobs.
Ellie Louise had 97 shops in total and 439 employees. It is understood that challenging trading conditions led to increased financial pressure on the retailer.
A spokesperson for the administrators, Zolfo Cooper, said around 28 of the shops had closed and that a buyer was being sought.
Christine said it had been a shock for all the staff when it closed so suddenly and she thanked all the customers for their support over the years.
“I hope that I will see them again soon in the not too distant future,” said Christine, vice chairman of the town’s Chamber of Trade.
“It’s sad that another shop in Whitehaven has gone, that’s the last thing we needed. We really need to get Whitehaven behind us because if they don’t use us they will lose us.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Rediscover Cumbria's war history
- Rita, 100, joins Rita, 100, for a party!
- Heroes spotlight falls on those close to us
- Fresh bid to fill 44 hospital vacancies (1 comment)
- A lesson in protest power
- PM ‘dodges’ question from Maddy, 10 (1 comment)
- Improvement in death rates, say health bosses
- Mums back campaign for maternity services (1 comment)
- Streets ‘pitch black’ for eight months (1 comment)
- MP tells Commons of ‘toxic distrust’
- WITH VIDEO: Dalton garage staff surprised as cheeky monkey checks in to refuel (51 comments)
- Call to dual A69 road after head-on crash near Brampton (22 comments)
- Headteacher suspended from Cumbrian school
- Penrith: Wednesday August 26
- Beauty with Julie Morgan
- Brampton Methodist - North Cumbria Circuit
- Man arrested on suspicion of drink driving after Ulverston crash
- Karl takes on his own Kiwis
- Brampton group’s members game for a good time
- Therapist in fundraising bid for Philippines family