Jobs axed as clothes shop closes
Published at 11:08, Thursday, 19 April 2012
A WHITEHAVEN shop has closed suddenly with the loss of five jobs.
Ellie Louise, which has been in the town’s King Street for 11 years, shut on Thursday, April 5.
Staff were shocked to hear the Leeds-based fashion retailer had gone into administration the previous Monday. This was followed by representatives arriving at the shop on the Thursday saying they had to close immediately.
Christine Minnorry, who managed the King Street shop, and the four part-time staff have all lost their jobs.
Ellie Louise had 97 shops in total and 439 employees. It is understood that challenging trading conditions led to increased financial pressure on the retailer.
A spokesperson for the administrators, Zolfo Cooper, said around 28 of the shops had closed and that a buyer was being sought.
Christine said it had been a shock for all the staff when it closed so suddenly and she thanked all the customers for their support over the years.
“I hope that I will see them again soon in the not too distant future,” said Christine, vice chairman of the town’s Chamber of Trade.
“It’s sad that another shop in Whitehaven has gone, that’s the last thing we needed. We really need to get Whitehaven behind us because if they don’t use us they will lose us.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Speed gun campaign to cut bad driving
- Tributes as fundraiser Sarah dies
- Delight at lottery boost for centre plan
- Delayed hip op patient now told she must lose six stone
- Marchon estate so big school may be needed
- Annie takes pride of place at carnival
- Farmer’s campaign claims cause upset
- Calls for off-licence blanket ban for under-age drinkers
- Tributes to David, 27
- Man admits sex offences and three rapes
- Top doctor blasts his ‘frightening’ stay at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary
- North Cumbria farmers frustrated over bridge closure
- Carlisle school ‘still one of best’ despite Ofsted blow, claims head
- Carlisle city centre clothes shop closing down (33 comments)
- Carlisle bar to close for £500,000 facelift
- Ex-Liverpool wide-man signs for Carlisle Utd (25 comments)
- Carlisle council leader Joe Hendry has died (40 comments)
- Carlisle Utd back in Lee Miller talks (23 comments)
- Carlisle College gets planning go-ahead for £5.3m arts and media centre (6 comments)
- Parking free-for-all after yellow lines blunder (21 comments)