Jobs axed as clothes shop closes
Published at 11:08, Thursday, 19 April 2012
A WHITEHAVEN shop has closed suddenly with the loss of five jobs.
Ellie Louise, which has been in the town’s King Street for 11 years, shut on Thursday, April 5.
Staff were shocked to hear the Leeds-based fashion retailer had gone into administration the previous Monday. This was followed by representatives arriving at the shop on the Thursday saying they had to close immediately.
Christine Minnorry, who managed the King Street shop, and the four part-time staff have all lost their jobs.
Ellie Louise had 97 shops in total and 439 employees. It is understood that challenging trading conditions led to increased financial pressure on the retailer.
A spokesperson for the administrators, Zolfo Cooper, said around 28 of the shops had closed and that a buyer was being sought.
Christine said it had been a shock for all the staff when it closed so suddenly and she thanked all the customers for their support over the years.
“I hope that I will see them again soon in the not too distant future,” said Christine, vice chairman of the town’s Chamber of Trade.
“It’s sad that another shop in Whitehaven has gone, that’s the last thing we needed. We really need to get Whitehaven behind us because if they don’t use us they will lose us.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Breaking news: Whitehaven Civic Hall to reopen (1 comment)
- Your election candidates revealed (3 comments)
- Hustings debates the issues that matter to you
- Travellers illegally occupying five sites in Cumbria (21 comments)
- Don't vote for me: Smear campaign forces Lee to quit (15 comments)
- Campaigners threaten to take legal action over school closure (2 comments)
- Fabulously flouncy - Laurence on heading to Whitehaven (1 comment)
- Vandals target Mirehouse eyesore’s artwork (1 comment)
- Cancer sufferer to cycle 140 miles for charity
- Travellers park illegally (21 comments)
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (204 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (61 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)