Home Group to check Frizington properties for asbestos
Last updated at 11:57, Thursday, 23 February 2012
HOMES in the Frizington area are to be inspected to check for asbestos.
Social landlord Home Group has written to residents – although it was unable to say how many – to arrange a visit to their homes to carry out the hour-long inspection.
Home says the “non-invasive” check will “determine the possible presence and condition of any asbestos containing materials prior to undertaking any upgrade works”.
It adds that previous checks indicate that there is no asbestos present that could be a danger to residents.
The issue of asbestos has long concerned residents in Frizington.
In 2005, surveys carried out in more than 100 Home Group properties in Moor Place, Griffin Close and Priory Close revealed that nine contained potentially deadly asbestos in the ceiling boards of warm air heating cupboards.
This was quickly removed and the homes made safe, however a number of residents have campaigned for compensation in the intervening years.
Karen Heaney, Home Group’s head of customer service property, said: “All social landlords are required to inspect their housing stock for asbestos and maintain a database of inspections.
“Home Group has appointed an independent specialist inspection service [Chirmarn Surveying Ltd] to carry this out on our behalf in the Frizington area in our properties.
“Previous inspections indicate there is no asbestos which could pose danger to anyone.”
First published at 11:07, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Copeland council offers support but no cash for harbour repairs
- Windfarm plans turned down (4 comments)
- New-look museum makes plea for more volunteers
- They nose it makes sense!
- Late drinking ‘a strain on 999 services’ (1 comment)
- Nuclear workers ‘second class citizens’ (18 comments)
- Academy bid ‘on target’
- Fears over impact of cuts to rural buses
- Snow tops town’s festivities
- Youngsters cry foul as dog dirt is left on football pitch (2 comments)