X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Harbourside flats to go ahead

WHITEHAVEN’S £10million harbourside complex WILL go ahead but has been further delayed as plans are being redesigned.

CEHARBFLATS
the original plan: How the complex would have looked. A redesign is now on the cards

It was thought that the major development on the Mark House/Park nightclub site would open late this year or by summer 2014. However developers are now looking at a redesign to include less office space and more residential accommodation, as well as some retail units.

Speaking to The Whitehaven News this week, Frank Lowe, chairman of the developers Magnus Homes, said the ‘Waterside’ project will go ahead “without doubt”.

And it will look completely different to the original plan but still be of modern appearance, using modern materials.

“We are looking at a redesign,” said Mr Lowe. “With Albion Square going ahead, it is unlikely that we will go ahead with as much office space,” he said. “It will be more focused on residential with less retail and offices.”

Mr Lowe said there was already interest in the luxury apartments and that he had been contacted by three potential buyers.

The development had been hoping for gap funding from Britain’s Energy Coast but this didn’t materialise. “We put an application in but it took a lot longer than we thought and we also had second thoughts about the amount of office space, we just couldn’t justify it,” said Mr Lowe.

He said office space costs the same to build in Whitehaven as it would in a city such as Manchester but that the rental values are not as high here.

“I was disappointed that the grant application was quite slow coming forward but it was good in a way that we could focus our ideas and we realised that we were taking on too much with the offices,” he said.

The development will still occupy the same footprint and be on the same scale. It is hoped a planning application will be put in around summer/autumn.

The original design was drawn up following a competition involving architects from all over the world. It will still be a modern building and will be designed so it can be undertaken in two stages. “Because of the economic situation we want to do it in two stages rather than one, but the original design could not be done like that,” added Mr Lowe.

Britain’s Energy Coast said the delay was due to the publication of the West Cumbria Economic Blueprint which now dictates all of its investments.

Have your say

it wont be council flats tho. flats which people round here can not afford. why don't they put council house on there with garden. for local people. instead of trying to make it something like a city, what will never work.or a grand hotel for local jobs. just look at the beacon what a waist. I will say no more.

Posted by ellen on 21 February 2013 at 06:31

whats the point we have flats why not make it in to something productive to keep teens off the streets but no the council are think they go on about teens on the streets and they go an build flats that only high payed workers can offord i am on a sallery of £13.000 how can i offored that

Posted by joshuah on 14 January 2013 at 10:26

View all 13 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Hot jobs
Search for:
Whitehavennews Newspaper