Food and photos theme for this year’s festival books
Last updated at 11:57, Thursday, 31 May 2012
A NOSTALGIC trip down memory lane has been captured in a new book which will be launched at the Whitehaven Diamond Jubilee Festival.
Whitehaven Through The Queen’s Reign is packed with photographs from the town since Her Majesty took to the throne in 1952.
Communities, street scenes, shops and events are featured throughout the years. The photographs have been provided courtesy of The Beacon, The Whitehaven News and individuals.
The book has been put together by festival organiser Gerard Richardson and it will be sold for £9.99 with proceeds going towards future festivals.
“We were looking to do something different as a fundraiser for the festival and came up with this,” said Gerard.
“It’s a collection of memories through fantastic images showing how Whitehaven has changed over the years. Many of the images are also in colour,” he said.
Also being launched at the festival is a book put together by Gerard and celebrity chef Jean Christophe Novelli entitled A Mad Frog and an Englishman go Fishing.
It features a collection of recipes and covers areas such as Whitehaven, Ravenglass and Muncaster.
Last year’s book – A Mad Frog and an Englishman – raised £15,000 towards the festival.
First published at 11:07, Thursday, 31 May 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Fly the flag for homecoming troops
- New Cumbria County Council cabinet announced
- Exciting first week for new mayor Geoff
- Ministry wants views on N-waste process (2 comments)
- MPs’ expenses revealed
- Plans made to stop using Ennerdale as water source (2 comments)
- Last days of the Dusty Miller
- Families cut back on food and heating
- Jacqui’s swept off her feet!
- NMP ‘needs to change – or lose Sellafield contract’ (11 comments)