Food and photos theme for this year’s festival books
Last updated at 11:57, Thursday, 31 May 2012
A NOSTALGIC trip down memory lane has been captured in a new book which will be launched at the Whitehaven Diamond Jubilee Festival.
Whitehaven Through The Queen’s Reign is packed with photographs from the town since Her Majesty took to the throne in 1952.
Communities, street scenes, shops and events are featured throughout the years. The photographs have been provided courtesy of The Beacon, The Whitehaven News and individuals.
The book has been put together by festival organiser Gerard Richardson and it will be sold for £9.99 with proceeds going towards future festivals.
“We were looking to do something different as a fundraiser for the festival and came up with this,” said Gerard.
“It’s a collection of memories through fantastic images showing how Whitehaven has changed over the years. Many of the images are also in colour,” he said.
Also being launched at the festival is a book put together by Gerard and celebrity chef Jean Christophe Novelli entitled A Mad Frog and an Englishman go Fishing.
It features a collection of recipes and covers areas such as Whitehaven, Ravenglass and Muncaster.
Last year’s book – A Mad Frog and an Englishman – raised £15,000 towards the festival.
First published at 11:07, Thursday, 31 May 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Extra crowd control for McFly gig
- Controversial turbine will go ahead
- Young people 'priced out' of Copeland housing (2 comments)
- Childhood obesity ‘at crisis point’
- New warning over your bins (5 comments)
- 5,300 Cumbrians dying prematurely
- ‘Don’t weight for me’ says Denise!
- Celebrate summer solstice with Flo
- Sellafield Ltd to be sentenced
- Ola! Towering Tenerife plant takes to town