Firefighters turn up the heat as deadline nears
Last updated at 11:48, Thursday, 16 January 2014
WITH only days to go, local firefighters are continuing to rally against proposed county council cuts which could see their crews halved.
Cumbria County Council is aiming to save £500,000 by slashing fire crews in Whitehaven, Workington and across the county. Consultations ends next Monday.
However, firefighters hope the public will back them warning that crews are already struggling to cope with stretched resources.
Dave Burn, chairman of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU), has warned the proposals to remove fire engines and firefighters is “playing with people’s lives”.
Speaking after Copeland was hit by storms which resulted in severe flooding, Mr Burn said if there had been fewer engines and crews available, the outcome could have been disastrous.
He said: “At times of severe flooding such as we have seen recently and with fewer firefighters and fire engines being available to respond to multiple areas, there will inevitably be significant delays and, even worse, no response as calls are filtered and prioritised.
“How is this providing a good deal and a better service to the great people of Cumbria? It is playing with people’s lives.”
More than 1,000 people have already signed a petition against planned fire cuts in the Workington area, after protestors took to the town streets, last weekend.
Kevin Connolly, the FBU representative for Workington, said: “We took the petition out with us on Saturday and everyone who went past us signed it. Nobody refused.
“But what concerns me is that some people still don’t seem to be aware of what’s being proposed. We need to spread the word even further so people understand what’s at stake here.’’
A Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “By targeting resources at prevention activity, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, has brought about a 34 per cent reduction in the number of incidents across the county in the last six years. As a result we’re currently consulting on proposals for shaping the service to the dangers that actually exist.”
First published at 11:20, Thursday, 16 January 2014
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
I am sure that a lot of people don't know about the proposed cuts to Vital frontline services. I came across this last month while browsing my local paper. There has been little in the press about these cuts in Cumbria, I would also like to know why our representitves at CCC have not come out and joined the fight. I went to a meeting tonight regarding the closure of Dalton in Furness, although invited not one of them deemed it important enough to attend.
Make your comment
- Closure means no banks from Egremont to Millom (2 comments)
- Saved: the goats abandoned at Christmas
- Big Brother’s blind eye shut for good
- Inspectors take action over care home concerns (2 comments)
- Katelyn’s dream date with One Direction
- Have a merry Christmas - but not a drunken one
- Shock closure of Senny’s nightspot (2 comments)
- Kells man dies from malaria
- What's On Guide: December 18 to 22
- Christmas School Plays in Copeland 2014