Drop-in and share your town council preference
Last updated at 11:49, Thursday, 17 July 2014
RESIDENTS are invited to give their views on whether they prefer one or two new councils for Whitehaven.
By Andrew Clarke
Copeland Council is hosting a drop-in session on Saturday to gauge opinion on the two options: one council covering the whole unparished area, or two parishes split into east and west Whitehaven with the Loop Road dividing the two.
A review panel has been gathering views and will take them on board ahead of its decision, which must be taken by December.
Election of councillors will take place next May and, based on an electorate to councillor ratio, one Whitehaven Town Council would have between 18 and 25 councillors.
If a two parish council option is chosen, West Whitehaven would have between 11 and 16 councillors, and East Whitehaven between seven and 10.
The new councillors will not receive an allowance, and the existing 51-member setup of Copeland Council is not affected by the change.
Whitehaven and Sandwith are the only unparished areas in Copeland, and the new setup will be funded by an extra precept on a resident’s council tax bill, raising money to pay for public services specifically for each area that could include toilets, play areas, grass-cutting or Christmas lights.
The drop-in is held at the United Reformed Church, Whitehaven, from 10am to noon. More information is at www.copeland.gov.uk.
First published at 11:36, Thursday, 17 July 2014
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
copeland council asking the question ?, really is there even any point what so ever, in telling them what you want, they will just do whatever they want anyways
Make your comment
- Alan Wills top scores at Northern Championship
- Awards evening marks 40 years of martial arts
- Kart star Jonny is Vegas bound
- Haven coach hails Stephen Fox’s return
- Mum knows value of local services
- GPs ‘deeply concerned’ by hospital
- MP criticises selection of staff chosen for review team (1 comment)
- Rejected - plans for 79 Cleator homes denied (4 comments)
- Fight goes on despite office block refusal
- Hotel charges Whitehaven couple £100 for bad review (2 comments)