Demolition work at bus station
Last updated at 13:57, Thursday, 30 January 2014
DEMOLITION work is sEt to start this weekend on Whitehaven’s former bus station.
John Groves, Copeland Council’s head of nuclear, energy and planning, told The Whitehaven News this week: “We have met with the bus station’s owners and Highways representatives and some demolition of the lower workshop on Wellington Row will take place this weekend.
“Our building control staff consider that some work needs to be done now to keep the buildings safe.”
The owner’s representatives are working with Highways to agree arrangements to continue the demolition following this emergency work.
Special planning consent was granted in September for the demolition because it falls in Whitehaven’s Conservation Area and the art-deco building is said to be architecturally significant. Steps will be taken to retain as much of the structure as possible, particularly the boundary walls.
First published at 11:17, Thursday, 30 January 2014
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
Have your say
art-deco my foot, it maybe has been allowed to become a wreck, but are you really saying it will enhance the town having another empty derelict site coming into Whitehaven for years on end like the old bus garage site opposite on the harbourside? Believe me, that's all it will become, it won't be built on. As bad as it looks now, it will look even worse in the future.Developers have had planning permission to build flats on both sites for years, but haven't done anything previously so why would they now? Meanwhile, with nothing built into the bank anymore, we can look forwards to the houses on Wellington Row, perched as they will be on a cliff edge, coming tumbling down.
What a town..closes public toilets and demolishes Art Deco bus station....so sad..will the last one out please turn off the lights!
View all 8 comments on this article