X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 26 July 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Ceiling falls in on child’s room after two-month wait for repair

A ROTTEN ceiling collapsed into a three-year-old’s bedroom as she slept – and the family blames landlords Home Group for ignoring their calls to fix the leak.

ceMcConvey
CLOSE SHAVE: Tracey McConvey from Woodhouse with her daughter Chloe under the hole in Chloe’s bedroom ceiling

Tracey McConvey, 27, from Woodhouse, was asleep on New Year’s Eve morning when her daughter Chloe ran into her room crying after the ceiling in her bedroom had fallen through.

Tracey said: “It is only luck that the ceiling didn’t come down over Chloe’s bed, I can’t bear to think what might have happened to her.”

The mum of one, from Windermere Road, first rang social landlords Home Group in October to complain of the leak.

Someone from Home visited to assess the situation, and Tracey was told it would be a two-day job as scaffolding would need to be erected to tackle the problem on the roof.

After that, she says that she heard no more from Home and the damp got worse.

“Since the autumn, Chloe has been to the doctors so many times with a bad cough she was given an inhaler and just before Christmas she was in hospital with a chest infection. I think that the damp in her room is the reason why.”

The little girl is now sleeping in her mother’s room as it is unsafe for her to stay in her own room at the back of the house.

Tracey said: “I am disgusted with Home, they have not taken me seriously at all. If they had done the repairs months ago we wouldn’t be in this situation. The room smells like urine, it is cold, dangerous and the fact that it is in a child’s room makes it even worse.”

After the ceiling collapsed on December 31, a representative of Home removed the debris and paper, leaving the exposed chip boards underneath.

Tracey added: “I can’t live like this – something needs to be done, and soon.”

Andrea Thorn, Home Group head of customer service, said: “We’re very sorry that Miss McConvey’s bedroom ceiling collapsed. Although we inspected her roof when she reported a leak, we have taken too long to begin a repair. We’re disappointed that we’ve fallen below our usual high standards.

“We’ll contact Miss McConvey to arrange a date to repair her roof and once the building is watertight we’ll re-plaster her ceiling. We’ll also pay for the cost of redecorating the room.”

Have your say

Isn't it Home Group who have dozens of contractors replacing roofs on Corkickle, and have had since well before christmas?

Posted by Rick on 13 January 2014 at 17:46

An accident waiting to happen and thankfully not fatal. All Ms. Woodburn can do is sing the praises of a has-been singer coming to Whitehaven. Where exactly are this Ms. 'managers' priorities? Yet another PR disaster. Ostrich, sand, etc.

Posted by Bern Birbeck on 12 January 2014 at 22:25

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Hot jobs
Search for:
Whitehavennews Newspaper