Car flips over after crash in village centre
Published at 11:09, Thursday, 26 April 2012
A MAN escaped through the boot of his car after it flipped over and landed on its roof.
He was travelling down Main Street in St Bees when his car collided with another vehicle which was pulling out of a parking space.
His car landed on the pavement outside two houses, occupied by members of one family.
One of the residents, Lee Shackley, 21, was shocked by what he saw.
He had been out when the events happened.
“All of my family were in,” he said. “I went back and saw four police cars and that [the upside down car] outside my house.”
Mr Shackley, who works as a sound engineer, spoke to his family who told him the driver of the car, an Audi A3, had to bang on the window of the boot to get out of the vehicle. The car he collided with was a Peugeot 206 with three people in it.
“They [his family] heard two really loud bangs, came out and had a look and couldn’t believe it,” Mr Shackley added.
Nobody was injured in the incident but Mr Shackley pointed out it could have been a very different story.
“They were expecting to see somebody dead,” he commented. “If anyone had been on the street they would have had no chance.”
Despite being uninjured, everyone in both cars was taken to hospital to be checked over.
Traffic is usually heavy in the village with workers heading towards nearby Sellafield.
Mr Shackley’s house has been hit by cars on several occasions.
A police spokeswoman said a report had been made about the collision and nobody had been arrested in relation to it.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the accident.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Jamie Reed's election rivals named (1 comment)
- Controversy over Civic Hall plans
- Iconic memorial poppies to come to Whitehaven? (2 comments)
- Whitehaven is one of the safest places to live (5 comments)
- ‘When I was finally diagnosed, it was a weight off my shoulders’
- Extra bobby on the beat (1 comment)
- Top award for Jessie
- Man ‘sorry’ for club incident (8 comments)
- Who foots blaze bill? (2 comments)
- ‘No regrets’ - trader Carla takes matters into her own hands (8 comments)