Boy ‘stable’ after being hit by car
Published at 12:35, Thursday, 19 June 2014
A BOY who was hit by a car on his way to school in Egremont is in a “stable condition”, police have confirmed.
The 11-year-old West Lakes Academy pupil was airlifted to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle with serious injuries, following the incident on Tuesday morning.
Police said yesterday (Wednesday) he is being treated in the Great North Children’s Hospital at the RVI, and his condition is now stable.
Ambulance crews, police and the Pride of Cumbria air ambulance were called to Castle Villas, near to the De Lucy Centre, just after 8am on Tuesday. The boy was then flown to the Newcastle hospital.
Police say the driver of the red Citroen DS3, a 25-year-old woman, was shaken but uninjured.
A spokeswoman from West Lakes Academy confirmed that the boy was a student. In a statement the school said: “The parents have been notified and have accompanied him to hospital.
“Everyone at West Lakes Academy is thinking of the student and his parents and wishes him a speedy recovery.”
The road, along with Main Street, was closed for several hours while emergency services attended the scene and motorists were advised to avoid the area.
Both roads were reopened three hours after the collision.
A police spokesperson said enquiries into the circumstances of the collision are continuing.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- What's On Guide: June 25 to July 1
- Whitehaven Film Festival 2015
- Life-saving parachute rescue over harbour (1 comment)
- Protest March
- Whitehaven Motor Show
- Former Copeland Council leader Elaine Woodburn honoured by the Queen (20 comments)
- Controversial windfarm given the go-ahead (1 comment)
- BBC Philharmonic Orchestra at Whitehaven Sports Centre
- Park in memory of Kieran moves closer
- Call for ‘seagull proof’ bags to clean up town (8 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- The Cumberland Show 2015: In pictures (2 comments)
- Ten questions Carlisle Utd supporters want answered (59 comments)
- Tributes flood in for murdered Carlisle schoolboy Jordan Watson (50 comments)