Readers solve puzzle of mystery man on picture
Published at 15:48, Wednesday, 28 January 2009
SIR, – I am so pleased to be able to confirm the identity of the mystery man in the William Pit miners picture you graciously published not so long ago (see left).
This time last year, only William Pickering, who lost his life in the 1947 William Pit disaster, was known to be in the photograph. As a result of printing a follow-up in The Whitehaven News, the mystery of the other miner’s identities are now complete.
We have, on the left, Mr. Henry Shilton, killed in William Pit 1947; centre Mr. Fred Blinco (1922-1999) who worked at William Pit, and assisted in rescue/recovery efforts, and Bill Pickering on the right.
I was very pleased to receive a photograph of Mr Frederick Blinco in his home guard uniform, standing beside his own father Thomas A. Blinco (date not known) so that we too, were able to confirm what his family suspected. Brenda Levens sent me the photo of her father, Frederick Blinco. She wrote: “He was his father’s son alright and a wonderful dad to each and everyone of us.”
We all thank you for allowing the beautiful photograph to be published, and the men identified for their families, friends, and future generations.
A simple pose on a sunny day has come to mean so much.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Smashed against Blackpool rock – and now let the inquest begin
- One of most memorable festivals in series history
- Kalvin swaps karts for notebook and pen
- Failed to comply
- Wyndham’s final send-off
- Synthetic cannabis warning after teenagers taken to hospital
- Charities join to lunch the lonely
- Watchdog’s new West Cumberland Hospital bombshell (7 comments)
- In The Archives
- Club refuses diabetic girl in need of injection
- Civic to re-open and new toilets? (8 comments)
- Rejected - plans for 79 Cleator homes denied (4 comments)
- Hotel charges Whitehaven couple £100 for bad review (2 comments)
- Man killed in A595 crash named
- Driver’s anger over police decision not to prosecute
- ‘You can’t imagine how good it felt’
- Ex-school demolished (9 comments)
- GPs ‘deeply concerned’ by hospital
- Third drink-driving conviction for Cleator Moor motorist
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (85 comments)