Published at 11:09, Thursday, 07 April 2011
SIR – I was delighted to read the article about The Beehive in The Whitehaven News (March 24).
My mother, Verena Robinson (née Walton), was born in Whitehaven in 1895 and worked at The Beehive before emigrating to Sydney, Australia in 1924 with her husband Fred Robinson and two-year-old son Fred.
I was born in Sydney in 1933 and my brother Fred also lives here.
My mother often spoke about her happy time at The Beehive and I was delighted to find more information today in your paper, especially seeing the photos. Sadly my mother passed away in 1969.
My wife and I often browse The Whitehaven News on the computer and enjoy reading about your lovely town and sometimes amazed at the weather temperatures in winter when we are sweltering here in summer.
We have relatives in Whitehaven and keep in touch with them although we are a long way apart.
Keep up the good work.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Barrow milkman told his driving was cause of ‘catastrophic injuries’ (21 comments)
- Dormer bungalow offers plenty of space for family
- Barrow dad 'attack could have killed me' (28 comments)
- Staffie muzzle order after fatal Barrow dog attack (26 comments)
- Secret death of baby girl - father questioned
- £1,500 fine for store Barrow Morrisons boss
- Former Ulverston chef admits knife attack on waiter
- Cumbrian teenager brought American blues club to its feet
- FOOD REVIEW: Farmers Arms, Lowick
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere