Knowing me... knowing you
Last updated at 00:33, Friday, 28 March 2008
The results of a new survey suggest that many a groom is in the dark about numerous areas of his bride’s life when he takes his marriage vows.
Only 67% of grooms believe that they are, without doubt, the love of their bride-to-be’s life.
Only 33% of grooms are certain they can name the last person their bride kissed before them.
40% of grooms are not even certain how many men have previously proposed to their bride-to-be.
These are among the surprising results from the survey of grooms preparing to write their wedding speech using the free ‘Charge Your Glasses’ website.
Lawrence Bernstein, who launched the site in November, explained yesterday:
“Although our experience suggests that the best man’s speech is much the most difficult to master, over 50% of our first 2000 visitors were looking for tips for their groom speech.
“Our site helps best men, fathers of the bride and grooms create a perfect speech for their wedding”
The site includes three questionnaires:
n The ‘is he good enough for your daughter?’ test for fathers-of-the-bride;
n The ‘how well do you know you the groom?’ test for best men; and
n The ‘how well do you know your bride-to-be?’ test for the groom.
And it is the results of the latter that have been particularly eye-opening.
“The questionnaire was meant to offer a little light relief for people worrying about their speech at a wedding,” added Lawrence. “But some of its results have been more than a little surprising.
“Romance may not be altogether dead, but it doesn’t seem that prospective married couples are fully aware of each others’ past, or some rather important features of their present.
“For instance, less than half of grooms are sure that their bride would come to them first if they had a problem with them.
“On the flip side, every single man who answered the questionnaire had at least some idea about his wife’s saving and debt situation. Which suggests that for the typical groom, if you look after the pennies, the marriage will look after itself.”
All three questionnaires are still running and can be accessed at www.chargeyourglasses.com.<
First published at 21:18, Wednesday, 12 March 2008
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- New government plan to deal with radioactive waste (1 comment)
- Parton is such sweet sorrow for runner Andrew
- Bill Brown buys Keano’s car
- School’s out for ever for Hilary
- Ministry scuppers bid for Sunday train service (2 comments)
- Teacher with a class of 6,000!
- Amy’s silence will be golden
- Summer of misery as roadworks begin
- Send north Cumbria hospitals concerns to Prime Minister
- Volunteers plan to bring back public toilets (21 comments)
- £1.80 an hour to park in Whitehaven town centre? (6 comments)
- Happy ending for grandad’s fairytale (4 comments)
- Joanna back home after collision horror
- Cumbrian man due in court on 11 rape charges
- More hospital services ‘at risk’ (5 comments)
- Cumbria police appeal after man dragged from taxi
- Teenager bared genitals in front of youngsters
- West Cumbrian pair jailed for burgling house
- Charity party goes ahead despite police concerns
- Dying woman left to wait for hours in Carlisle hospital A&E