A motorcyclist who suffered severe brain injuries when he hit an ambulance parked too close to a race track near Whitehaven has been awarded a six-figure sum.
- Woman found dead in Wath Brow
- Beacon set to be saved
- Controversial Drigg turbine given the go-ahead (1 comment)
- Hospital theatre due to reopen after work
- Senior councillor refers the NDA to Ombudsman (2 comments)
- Mum’s scarlet fever warning after daughter Sophie suffers
- Ofsted praises Whitehaven School
- Hero Millom schoolboy saves heart drama dad’s life (4 comments)
- Festival boost thanks to firm’s support
- Plans made to stop using Ennerdale as water source (13 comments)
THOUSANDS of people waving Union Jack flags lined the streets of Whitehaven to welcome home troops from Afghanistan. (8 comments)
- Commissioner expenses leak: No criminal action against two police workers
- Cumbria's chief constable remains suspended
- Go-ahead for superfast broadband roll-out across Cumbria (31 comments)
- Families cut back on food and heating
- Police end inquiry into death of young Cumbrian mum
- Tour of Britain: Cumbrian route details revealed
Hell on the Harbourside took place at Whitehaven harbour with around 300 people taking part.
IF ever a song summed up a festival, it was The Farm’s classic anthem All Together Now at Whitehaven’s At The Playground. (3 comments)
Whitehaven Musical Festival saw a whole range of winners at this year’s event.
Town centre cycle racing came to Whitehaven for the first time in May 1989 with a series of five races organised by Velo Club Cumbria.
Despite torrential rain there was a huge turn out for the annual West Cumbria Scout Fellowship fun run in Ennerdale. More than 800 scouts, guides, cubs and brownies took part in May 1989.
CLICK HERE FOR A ROUND-UP OF ALL THIS WEEK'S NEWS: NEWS ROUND-UP
All Whitehaven's Co-operative Championship and Challenge Cup fixtures and results for 2013.
THE carnivals of yesteryear were certainly lavish affairs. Take a step back in time and look at some images from the 1920s and 1930s that demonstrate how the crowds turned out for this annual highlight of the summer months