Published at 11:10, Thursday, 22 March 2012
WHILE it is the athletes who pick up gold medals and glory at the Olympics, we should also honour those whose determination to defeat life’s obstacles is also truly inspirational.
Darren Blanks is a young father from Egremont who suffered a brain tumour and two bouts of meningitis. He also has deteriorating eyesight and has lost the hearing in his right ear.
His bravery and dedication to chasing his dreams marks him as a true hero. And this week, he has rightly been chosen as one of London’s Olympic torch-bearers.
He is the definition of Olympian spirit.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Campaigner Carla thrown out of council meeting by police (31 comments)
- Breaking news: Crash on main Whitehaven road
- Whitehaven mayor will be poorest paid in UK (13 comments)
- Eyesore’s revamp - bus station to be transformed after buyout (16 comments)
- Copeland Council owe £15 million for £5 million loan (6 comments)
- ‘Inconsiderate’ motorists are driving residents round the bend (15 comments)
- Whitehaven life in the 1960s (12 comments)
- Cumbrian pub landlady caught with three different drugs
- Partially-sighted man denies sex assaults
- Kai showcases talent at Billy Elliot audition (1 comment)