I've got a gripe with the otherwise perfect town of Keswick.
Those living a short distance from this delightful town are heavily penalised for going to the theatre. I went to see Stones In His Pockets at Theatre by the Lake in Keswick last night and - like many people - drove straight after work to the town. The intention is to park up, get a meal in the town and then walk down to the theatre. But park by the theatre and you are liable for a hefty 'fine'. Park charges cease after 6.30pm - but arriving that late leaves you not quite long enough to get a meal. But arrive like me at 6.15pm and you have to pay the minimum charge of £2.60. That equates to £10.40 an hour parking! Surely Allerdale could stop charging after 5pm or - in this technological age - have a machine which will allow you to pay for just ten or 15 minutes parking. And how about a machine that gives change? I don't suppose I'm alone in thinking that next time I visit the theatre I'll eat before I go rather than pay such a hefty fee for the honour of visiting one of Keswick's restaurants.
Published: April 7, 2010
Have your say
I think you're onto something here.I met up with my cousins from Northern Ireland on Easter Sunday at the Theatre by the Lake. It was absolute pandemonium in the car park and my cousins, seeing that people were parked all over the place - including up on the grass - parked up neatly on the grass. They did, however, dutifully buy a ticket.They returned to their car to find a parking fine of Â£25. I thought it a little harsh - and indeed a little sacreligious - for people to be given parking fines on Easter Sunday. My cousins were hardly intending to cause trouble - and it's not as if there are other car parks or other places to park nearby. They were simply trying to make the best of a bad job. Parking attendants should concentrate their efforts on nuisance parkers.
Make your comment
- Sign of the times (1 comment)
- How railway stations should be (1 comment)
- Whodunnit to Cluedo? (1 comment)
- A wee problem (4 comments)
- Another string to my bow
- VOTE NATURAL LAW PARTY! (1 comment)
- Long-distance love affair
- Plane flies shock!
- The magic of Lakeland bridges
- Days with no planes in the sky (2 comments)
- Tom Baker for next Doctor Who
- Keeping it in the family - acting...
- No escape from The Village as The...
- Carlisle? It's just too far from London
- How to draw a straight line
- More problems with Keswick (1 comment)
- Keswick tourists short-changed
- There's no fooling some folk