THOUSANDS of people waving Union Jack flags lined the streets of Whitehaven today to welcome home troops from Afghanistan. (5 comments)
Two operating theatres have been closed down after Government inspectors raised serious safety concerns.
- Go-ahead for superfast broadband roll-out across Cumbria (27 comments)
- Cumbria police investigate sudden death of man, 18
- NMP ‘needs to change – or lose Sellafield contract’ (15 comments)
- Families cut back on food and heating
- Jacqui’s swept off her feet!
- New Cumbria County Council cabinet announced (2 comments)
- Plans made to stop using Ennerdale as water source (9 comments)
- Exciting first week for new mayor Geoff
Town centre cycle racing came to Whitehaven for the first time in May 1989 with a series of five races organised by Velo Club Cumbria.
Despite torrential rain there was a huge turn out for the annual West Cumbria Scout Fellowship fun run in Ennerdale. More than 800 scouts, guides, cubs and brownies took part in May 1989.
Whitehaven Musical Festival saw a whole range of winners at this year’s event.
CLICK HERE FOR A ROUND-UP OF ALL THIS WEEK'S NEWS: NEWS ROUND-UP
All Whitehaven's Co-operative Championship and Challenge Cup fixtures and results for 2013.
THE carnivals of yesteryear were certainly lavish affairs. Take a step back in time and look at some images from the 1920s and 1930s that demonstrate how the crowds turned out for this annual highlight of the summer months