Wilson makes two-try Haven debut for Reserves
Published at 11:08, Thursday, 21 July 2011
EX-WORKINGTON Town centre Martyn Wilson marked his Whitehaven debut with two tries for the Under-23s at the Recre.
A strong Haven team, including first-team regulars Paul Cullnean, Loz Hamzat, Lewis Palfrey and Chris Smith, as well as Dexter Miller, beat Keighley Cougars 28-6.
“Keighley found it hard to put Martyn down on first and second contact,” coach Chris Wright said. “He looked good.
“His first try was a run-in off a line break, but his second he created himself.”
Hamzat, Marc Watson and Jamie Martin also crossed for Haven, while Scott George, who was in inspired form next to Palfrey in the halves, slotted four goals.
“Scott had probably his best game of the season and complemented Lewis well,” Wright added. “He was captain on the day and stepped up, with ball in hand and in his kicking game.”
Smith, among Championship One’s leading hookers this term, was drafted in to the team after elder brother Dan had to pull out with a shoulder problem.
Haven lie fourth in the table and face a crucial game on Saturday at third-placed Oldham, who they entertain on the final day of the regular season.
“If we are to get third spot, which will be better for the play-offs, we have to take the two games against Oldham,” Wright continued.
“The home game against them could be interesting, depending on how other results go.”
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Empty spaces in Whitehaven's multi-storey, but there's nowhere to park (9 comments)
- Albion Square celebrates official opening
- The last mayor of Whitehaven
- Man killed in A595 crash named
- Judge call for drugs report on Mirehouse woman
- Expert leading review previously called for smaller units to close (5 comments)
- Opinion - I'm terrified and furious (2 comments)
- Police investigate sexual assault in Cumbrian shop
- ‘The successful candidate must work with everyone’ (2 comments)
- More shops shut in Whitehaven (26 comments)