Sice notches hat-trick as Whitehaven overpower Gateshead
Published at 17:37, Sunday, 31 July 2011
Whitehaven did their points difference a power of good as they swept past Gateshead Thunder 64-10 at the Recreation Ground.
The visitors scored first on eight minutes and competed well for 15 minutes, but after the impressive Carl Sice touched down for Haven, the hosts started to assert their authority.
Prop Paul Cullnean went on to cross twice and winger Craig Calvert added a fourth try, as Haven ended the half 24-4 up.
Calvert and Sice added further tries before Gateshead scored a consolation on the hour-mark.
Derry Eilbeck then notched a long-range try and Sice completed his hat-trick, Matthew Haggerty, Loz Hamzat and Martyn Wilson, on debut, completing the scoring.
Carl Rudd, a third-minute arrival off the bench for Lewis Palfrey, who suffered a nasty elbow injury, missed only one of his 11 conversion attempts.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Carlisle alcoholic waved knife while drunk
- Thousands put their best feet forward
- Rugby league - a passport to the world
- Wife’s letter to judge spares husband jail term for assault
- Ged edged out in final
- Man rode mini-moto motorbike uninsured
- On trial for assault
- Calder Hall workmates save colleague’s life
- Pushed through window
- Family's tribute to teenage cyclist killed in Cumbria crash
- Missing Whitehaven teenager found safe and well
- ‘We told you so!’ Firefighters’ crisis warning ‘proved right’ (11 comments)
- Are councillors measuring up? (6 comments)
- Developers shed light on solar park scheme (8 comments)
- Family tell of devastation over mam’s hospital death
- Public meeting to air hospital concerns (1 comment)
- Sellafield expert joins Fukushima team
- Cyclists gear up for ‘Tour de Moor’
- ‘Scores’ of new jobs at Sellafield