Sice notches hat-trick as Whitehaven overpower Gateshead
Published at 17:37, Sunday, 31 July 2011
Whitehaven did their points difference a power of good as they swept past Gateshead Thunder 64-10 at the Recreation Ground.
The visitors scored first on eight minutes and competed well for 15 minutes, but after the impressive Carl Sice touched down for Haven, the hosts started to assert their authority.
Prop Paul Cullnean went on to cross twice and winger Craig Calvert added a fourth try, as Haven ended the half 24-4 up.
Calvert and Sice added further tries before Gateshead scored a consolation on the hour-mark.
Derry Eilbeck then notched a long-range try and Sice completed his hat-trick, Matthew Haggerty, Loz Hamzat and Martyn Wilson, on debut, completing the scoring.
Carl Rudd, a third-minute arrival off the bench for Lewis Palfrey, who suffered a nasty elbow injury, missed only one of his 11 conversion attempts.
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
- Smashed against Blackpool rock – and now let the inquest begin
- One of most memorable festivals in series history
- Kalvin swaps karts for notebook and pen
- Failed to comply
- Wyndham’s final send-off
- Synthetic cannabis warning after teenagers taken to hospital
- Charities join to lunch the lonely
- Watchdog’s new West Cumberland Hospital bombshell (7 comments)
- In The Archives
- They died for us, don’t forget them
- Civic to re-open and new toilets? (8 comments)
- Rejected - plans for 79 Cleator homes denied (4 comments)
- Hotel charges Whitehaven couple £100 for bad review (2 comments)
- Man killed in A595 crash named
- Driver’s anger over police decision not to prosecute
- ‘You can’t imagine how good it felt’
- Ex-school demolished (9 comments)
- GPs ‘deeply concerned’ by hospital
- Third drink-driving conviction for Cleator Moor motorist
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (85 comments)