What is a census?
You often hear about census returns on TV shows such as Who Do you Think You Are? as these can give family and local historians so many clues about the past.
However, they’re not just historic – think back to 2001 and you might remember completing a very long form about everyone in your house on ‘... [more]
Published: September 30, 2010
ONE of the tasks the Record Office and Local Studies Library staff are involved with on an ongoing basis is sorting and re-packaging some of the collections which have been in the care of Cumbria Archive Service for a number of years.
That means getting rid of old rusting staples and paper clips and replacing them, if necessary, with... [more]
Published: September 15, 2010
Q How do I find out more about the history of my house?
A. You can approach this from two angles: who owned and occupied your house in the past, or the building and architectural history.
We at the Archives can make a start helping you with both with free access to our collections. Maps, title deeds, census returns, electoral... [more] (2 comments)
Published: September 2, 2010
- Smashed against Blackpool rock – and now let the inquest begin
- Kalvin swaps karts for notebook and pen
- Failed to comply
- They died for us, don’t forget them
- Concern over number dying after receiving specialist health care
- Synthetic cannabis warning after teenagers taken to hospital
- Wyndham’s final send-off
- Cadets get their chance to fly
- Beacon has a hand in puppet success
- Watchdog’s new West Cumberland Hospital bombshell (7 comments)
- Civic to re-open and new toilets? (8 comments)
- Rejected - plans for 79 Cleator homes denied (4 comments)
- Hotel charges Whitehaven couple £100 for bad review (2 comments)
- Man killed in A595 crash named
- Driver’s anger over police decision not to prosecute
- ‘You can’t imagine how good it felt’
- Ex-school demolished (9 comments)
- GPs ‘deeply concerned’ by hospital
- Third drink-driving conviction for Cleator Moor motorist
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (85 comments)