Danny becomes 15th to re-sign for Whitehaven
Last updated at 11:44, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Danny Barker has become the 15th and final member of last season’s promotion-winning squad to commit to Whitehaven’s new Championship campaign.
The big back-rower, from Maryport, has been working with the squad since the start of pre-season training but has only now penned a deal for 2013.
“There was never any question that Danny would put pen to paper,” said chief executive Barry Richardson. “He always wanted to sign but time commitments prevented him doing so until now.
“This will be his eighth season at the club, yet he’s still young and it is a big year for Danny. He needs to break through into the first-team, and he’s more than capable of doing that.
“He’s got the ability, and hopefully he’ll get the opportunity for a sustained run in the first-team at some point this year.”
Barker, who has just turned 24, played in three of the first seven games last term, before joining Gateshead Thunder on loan for most of the season. Haven entertain Gateshead in their opening pre-season friendly on Sunday.
They follow up next week at Barrow, who lost their opening clash 23-20 to visitors Keighley at the weekend.
Ex-Haven centre Max Wiper scored his first try for Barrow off the bench, while his former Recre team-mate Matthew Haggarty started in the front-row.
Following Barker’s commitment, Haven are not looking to re-sign any more of last season’s squad, many of whom have now found new clubs.
First published at 11:32, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Clean-up mission needed for pond
- Man caught with child porn images
- Huntsman: The great betrayal
- Egremont continue title surge
- Nearly 100 getting back to fitness among friends
- Fell meat... direct from farm to your table
- Cycling event will put town on map
- Cumbrian council chiefs under fire over farming and tourism
- You’re hired: partnership secures apprentice training
- Beehive memories
- Cap’n Senny’s to shut and become flats (11 comments)
- Unions slam health bosses for "betraying community" (6 comments)
- What now for Whitehaven's old Woolies store? (15 comments)
- Council sets out stall for Market Hall’s future (2 comments)
- Cyclists get on their bikes in memory of David
- Roper Street residents plagued by rats (1 comment)
- Help to decide councillors' allowances (5 comments)
- Egremont Crab Fair 2014
- Pensioner injured in town centre bus crash
- Family asks: have we been sold a pup? (15 comments)