Cumbria police arrest five on suspicion of rape
Last updated at 11:07, Monday, 20 February 2012
Five men have been arrested on suspicion of rape after a woman suffered what police say was a serious sexual assault late at night in west Cumbria.
The attack happened some time on Saturday night or Sunday morning close to Market Place in Whitehaven.
It came to light when the woman, in her early forties, was found in a distressed state at 8.20am by an elderly man who was walking his dog.
The unidentified pensioner stopped to talk to the woman after realising she was upset.
Five men were in custody today being questioned as part of the investigation.
Their ages were said to range from a suspect in his early 20s to another aged more than 50.
A spokesman for Cumbria police said: “At this time, five persons have been arrested and are assisting police with the investigation.
“Police are not looking for any other people in connection with the investigation.”
The spokesman said that police would like to contact the elderly man who helped and spoke to the woman.
“Police would be grateful if this helpful member of the public could get in touch as soon as possible,” added the spokesman.
Any person who can help the police investigation should contact either Detective Sergeant George Atkinson or DC Jim Gratton at Workington CID.
They can make contact using the police non emergency number dialling 101.
First published at 07:38, Monday, 20 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Shock closure of Senny’s nightspot (2 comments)
- Man killed in A595 crash named
- Kells man dies from malaria
- Big Brother’s blind eye shut for good
- Closure means no banks from Egremont to Millom (2 comments)
- Housing development set to go ahead despite 900 objections (17 comments)
- Inspectors take action over care home concerns (2 comments)
- Killer of Furness 'gentle giant' walks free (14 comments)
- The £16m cost of Sellafield visitor centre – and today it stands idle (17 comments)
- Inquest into death of man, 38