Aussie James Cameron signs for Whitehaven RL
Last updated at 13:25, Friday, 09 November 2012
Whitehaven have signed big Aussie speedster James Cameron for the 2013 campaign.
The 24-year-old, who holds an Italian passport, can play wing or centre but full-back is his preferred position. He will touch down at the Recre on January 4 to begin his preparations for the new season.
Cameron has been on Haven’s radar for some time and the club decided to make a move after speaking to ex-Recre ace Peter Camroux, who coached him at Balmain Tigers and has been scouting for the club in Australia.
Cameron, from Sydney, has featured for Burleigh Bears in the Queensland Cup over recent seasons and the 6ft 2ins flyer tips the scales at a bulky 95kg.
“We have known about him for a while. We were then contacted out of the blue by Peter [Camroux], who strongly recommended him,” said Paul Nelson, Haven director.
“We’ve seen video clips on social media, but the main reason we went for him was Peter’s recommendation.
“He has all the attributes to be a good player and was so keen to come to us that he has booked his own flight.
“He has made his intentions known, that he wants to have a good year with Whitehaven and earn a place in Italy’s World Cup squad next year.”
Full-back was a problem position for Haven last term, with Jonny Youds, Shane Ackerley, Andreas Bauer, Jessie Joe Parker and Lewis Palfrey all featuring in the No1 shirt at some point.
Youds, Bauer and Palfrey have since left the club, though young Ackerley has signed a contract for next season and Parker, best known as a centre, is also set to return.
First published at 11:23, Friday, 09 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- New build work causes a landslide nextdoor
- Cumbrian swimmer makes a splash
- The quiet genius from Greenbank
- Dad jailed for neglect
- Power restored after explosion under Cumbrian street
- Divers check safety of homes (1 comment)
- Community rallies behind flash flood victims
- Family's four year nightmare living next to rat-infested empty house
- Northumbria Healthcare Foundation Trust
- Site to promote Cumbrian food
- Major Whitehaven roadworks ahead (4 comments)
- Dad jailed for neglect
- £100k scratchcard win for delighted mum Carol, 41 (2 comments)
- Cheaper fuel bills – thanks to mines (3 comments)
- Daily struggles leave Dawn desperate for vital support
- Temporary stop in bus station work (5 comments)
- 92 homes on cards for Kangol site (1 comment)
- Don’t take Tom’s lifeline say parents
- Nicola awaits the next call from BGT...
- £1,000 bonus for Sellafield workers (18 comments)